Tuesday 24 May 2016

Sewing for a man #2: White lies and guesses


My two eldest children are very close in age and very different in personality. As small children, playing with Lego, when a new kit arrived with a set of instructions, the eldest pored over the instructions, keen to get the details correct. The second child tossed the instructions away without a glance and just went for it with the Lego.

I have to confess that my sewing is rather like the latter. I do consult instructions from time to time. Now we have the wonders of the internet, I can consult tutorials and all sorts of ideas, but I am impatient with the minutiae, and tend just to go for it, using guesswork and holding my breath a lot.

I guessed at how to do the neckline of this top and have had to do a bit of handsewing to patch up and hide errors - as long as the outer appearance is OK, that will do. I have the same issue, to a degree, with making split sides, although I actually did consult the pattern ... and then did my own version. I think some handsewing will be required there to cover up.

Much of my sewing is about clever hiding. Maybe that's the case with many artisans. I don't know. Their white lies are too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment